The Big News

Disney is going to buy Marvel.

I don't really have anything to say other than that, except that I hope Disney and Marvel both know what they're doing- this could either go really, really well or it could go horribly wrong. The possibilities on both sides have already been written about extensively, so I'll skip over most of them except for one really, really interesting possibility: what are the chances that with the huge corporate resources of Disney behind it Marvel will be willing to experiment a little more and for a little longer- will critically-acclaimed-but-not-great-selling series get a longer shot under this new deal? Could a Vertigo-like imprint come out of it?

Whatever happens, it'll certainly be interesting to watch what happens at the House of Ideas over the next few years.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you chose to concentrate on the positives with your post, Josh.

    I see many positive possibilities in this deal myself. A long-running "Justice League Unlimited"-style Marvel Universe animated TV show on Disney XD. A series of "DC Animated"-style direct-to-DVD Marvel movies from DisneyDVD. Deep pockets can go a long way.

    Basically, I'm trying my best to see this as an equivalent to the purchase of DC Comics by Warner Brothers in 1969. Exactly forty years ago this year come to think of it...

    And what has come out of DC Comics in forty years of consistent corporate ownership?

    "Watchmen"
    "The Dark Knight Returns"
    "The Killing Joke"
    "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth"
    "The New Frontier"

    And under their imprints:
    "Road to Perdition"
    "Planetary" (supposedly to finally be complete this October!)
    "Ex Machina"

    Some of the best comics I've personally ever read.

    Basically ALL of their best publications have been under the era of Warner ownership. I think if the relationship between Marvel and Disney is even somewhat comparable, I say bring it on.

    ReplyDelete