Some Long Overdue Opinions

I finally had a chance to take a look at some series I've been curious about as I stumbled across them in the sale bin at The Strand bookstore today.

First:
"Batman" #689 is far superior to "Batman" #690. I know because I bought the last copy at our store. I also read "Batman and Robin" #2. Now I understand where Clare is coming from on the writers and how they treat the concept of Dick Grayson, the original Robin, as the new Batman. Which means when the eventual dialogue comes down about the Batman Reborn books between Clare and Josh I'll have something to say. This is very important. I must have something to say at all times...

So:
1.
"The Unwritten" #1 and #2 were there at the Strand. I perused them thoroughly (not the same thing as reading them) and decided that although I still find the idea intriguing I passed on them. At $1.50 each. What does this tell you?

2.
I finally got to peruse "Take A Chance" #1, which looked kind of like Mark Millar's series "Kick-Ass" but with a female protagonist. This interested me. Female superhero. A rarity. Original superhero stories outside of the Big Two's playground. Also a rarity. Unfortunately, this series from undergrond publishers Dabel Brothers Publishing also disappointed me. It was very, very Nineties. In the worst way possible. Almost as bad as the new god-awful "Mayhem" series by Tyrese Gibson, a male model. Steer as clear as possible from that series.

3.
However, another title was a pleasant surprise. Kevin Smith's new Batman mini-series: "Batman: The Widening Gyre". It. Is. COOL. If you are sick of this Robin-is-now-wearing-the-bat-ears-"Batman-Reborn" stuff? If you miss Dick Grayson as Nightwing? You should have read the first issue of this series! It's also a great intro to the DC Universe if you're only familiar with Batman. In fact, I'd say most especially if you're mostly familiar with the old 60s Batman TV show and you're curious about the more adult Batman comics. Because it's one of those brilliant comics that doesn't ignore the old Silver Age stuff, so much as shine a different light and make it all make sense. Also? It's very funny. And very sexy. Plus it could be interpreted as a sequel to the "Arkham Asylum: Living Hell" mini-series or "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth" the graphic novel or both! It's a continuity whore's dream AND it's good. I'll be picking up the next issue I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment