The Same Thing We Do Every Comics Convention, Pinky...

This morning, I've done something I've never done before:

I woke up, I put on some clothes, I left my cell phone on my desk (not on purpose), and then I went to a comics convention.

I'm going to do a full con write-up after I get done with the show tomorrow, so I'll leave most of my stories until then, but I do have one thing I want to get off of my chest right now:

The best way to thank creators who you like is to buy their stuff. It's great to walk up to them, to shake their hand, to tell them you love what they do and appreciate that they do it, and I'm sure they appreciate it. But the best way to thank them is to buy their stuff. Which I didn't do at one point when I should have, and now I regret it entirely- mostly because the creator I didn't buy from is awesome, we had a great conversation, and I would really like to see her do more work. Although I did buy something that her tablemate wrote and drew (French Milk, by Lucy Knisley, which looks awesome; when I write about it, I'm going to write about how much I love travel comics) I'm going to attempt to make up for this egregious error by linking to her recently-ended webcomic Dar. It's a fantastic, incredibly honest diary comic and, although I came to it at the end (which, it came out in our conversation, Erika Moen actually thinks is something of an advantage) I'm glad I came to it all.

Anyway, thanks to Erika and everyone else who made my first ever con experience great. Stories about Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente and Gail Simone's Comic and Mythology panel (with some great FVL quotes), Brian Azzarello's nametag, meeting webcomics creators and buying more stuff than I expected to, after tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, although I am bound not to toot my own horn too much, you should heed one post below, if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment